Aurohealth, a manufacturer of generic pharmaceuticals, has recalled a large number of pill bottles after it was found they did not have child resistant packaging, as required by law. The recall affects more than 130,000 bottles of Walgreens’ and more than 25,000 bottles of Kroger brand acetaminophen, which were manufactured with defective bottles. Anyone with these bottles should make sure they are out of the reach of children to avoid accidental poisoning.
What is Aurohealth?
Aurohealth is a manufacturer of generic medications, particularly “store-brand” pharmaceuticals for businesses like Walgreens and Kroger. The company, which is headquartered in Lawrence Township, New Jersey, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aurobindo Pharma, an Indian multinational pharmaceutical company, which has an annual revenue of around US$3.1 billion. Aurohealth focuses primarily on manufacturing over-the-counter (OTC) medications like aspirin, acetaminophen, and other non-prescription medications.
Why Was This Recall Issued?
Aurohealth issued the recall after it was discovered that a large number of pill bottles manufactured by the company did not have adequate child resistant packaging, in violation of the Poison Prevention Packaging Act (PPPA). Although no incidents related to this violation have been reported, there is always the risk that a child could open the bottle and consume the contents inside. If that happened, they could become poisoned from an acetaminophen overdose, requiring immediate medical attention.
What is the Danger Here?
While acetaminophen is an extremely common painkiller seen in medications like Tylenol and Nyquil, it is generally given in small doses to children for a reason. If they consume a large amount of the drug and overdose, it can lead to gastroenteritis (an infection of the digestive tract) and liver damage. Because these symptoms may not appear for hours or days after the poisoning, a parent may not realize their child consumed a toxic dose of acetaminophen until it has become an emergency.
What Should You Do?
If your child consumed an unknown amount of medication from a pill bottle, even a “harmless” drug like acetaminophen or aspirin, you should call the Poison Control Centers at (800) 222-1222 on what steps you should take. You may need to seek immediate medical attention to prevent serious potential medical issues. You should also speak to a lawyer with experience handling product liability cases, who can help you to explore your legal options.
If you have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, you should contact the Tennessee personal injury lawyers at the Keith Williams Law Group. With convenient offices located in Nashville and Lebanon, our lawyers will work with you to create a litigation strategy that protects your legal rights and serves your personal needs. For more information or a free consultation, please contact us at 615-444-2900 or visit our contact page.